Tuesday, September 2, 2014

To Pack or Not to Pack: Are School Lunches Healthy?


I don't know of the proper definition of “healthy.” I guess this question would lead me to question you on your definition of “healthy.” 

What does healthy mean to me? With regard to food, I would say a balance. Aim for a variety of food groups, colorful foods, and age- and activity- balanced portion sizes.

Many people ask me if school lunches are healthy. So, this is a question of "to pack or not to pack."


The National School Lunch Program is making some health-related changes. They are including more whole grains, colorful fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, lowering the amount of saturated fat, lowering calories, and lowering the sodium content provided. The lower sodium content now meets DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet and low sodium diet restrictions. I see these as healthy, beneficial changes for the general population as a whole.

So, these changes fit my definition of healthy. Does it fit yours? If not, there is always the option to BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch) that satisfies your health standards.


For more tips and tricks for healthy eating, follow RDtipoftheday on Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment