10 Basic Principles of the Science of Human Nutrition
These are the 10 basic principles of the science behind human nutrition. As a RD, this is what I work to promote. I hope to increase the public's knowledge and awareness of these basic principles along with a healthy view of nutrition, body image, and health. I couldn't have said these any better.
"1. Food is a basic need of humans
2. Foods provide energy (calories or kcal), nutrients, and other substances needed for growth and health.
3. Health problems related to nutrition originate within cells
4. Poor nutrition can result from both inadequate and excessive levels of nutrient intake
5. Humans have adaptive mechanisms for managing fluctuations in food intake.
6. Malnutrition can result from poor diets and from disease states, genetic factors, or combinations of these causes.
7. Some groups of people are at higher risk of becoming inadequately nourished than others. Poor nutrition can influence the development of certain chronic diseases.
8. Adequacy, variety, and balance are key characteristics of a healthy diet.9. There are no “good” or “bad” foods."