Monday, January 30, 2017

Setting Healthy Goals


Happy New Year! About this time of year, everyone is ready for a fresh start. The business of the holiday season is over. It's a new year. Time for goals. I like setting goals and resolutions; however, I do realize some people are anti-resolutions. You can read more about my love of goals here.


For those who have tried to set goals and not had success, here are my tips:

1) Make SMART goals.
SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely. Making specific goals is a way to set set yourself up for success. If you have a big or long-term goal like running a marathon, consider setting smaller, short-term goals. For example, your goal may be:
Long-term goals: Be more physically active. Run a marathon.
Short-term goals: Be physically active 30 minutes for 5 days a week. Run a 10-minute mile by February 28.

2) Define success.
What is your definition of success? How will you measure your success? If you've set SMART goals, your success will be defined in the goal. For me, any positive change or progress is a success.

3) Give yourself grace.
Many of my clients express frustration, anger, or are self-deprecating when they don't reach their goals. Goals are an opportunity to grow and change. Any positive change is a good change.

For example, let's say your goal is to run a marathon. If you run a 5K, is that success? I think any progress in a healthy direction is successful. Would you have been able to run a 5K before? If not, you met a small goal and made healthy progress. Celebrate it!


So, let's set goals for 2017. Start fresh. And, give yourself grace. 

What are your goals for 2017? Feel free to comment below or share them on social media with the hashtag #healthyRD. I'll be sharing my goals and progress with #RDTODgoals and #healthyRD. Join me in my journey to health.

For more tips, encouragement, and recipes for a healthy lifestyle, you can follow me on FacebookPinterestInstagram, and Twitter

If you liked this post, you might enjoy:



No comments:

Post a Comment