Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hydrating


I have seen many people hospitalized due to dehydration. They range in the spectrum of a couple day stay to staying in the ICU (intensive care unit) and having long-term organ damage. So, my opinion of adequate hydration is probably skewed. However, hydration is important!

We learned in grade school science class that our body is made up of approximately 80% water and that water is used in many different vital organ systems.  So, that makes adequate hydration pretty important to all of us.

How do you get started? Start with a plan, set a goal, and assess any barriers to your goal. The most common barriers to drinking more water I hear include: “It gets so boring,” “I don’t like the taste of water,” or “I don’t know how much to drink.” So, let’s address those things!


How much water do I need to drink?

Most adults need 8 cups of water per day. One cup of water is 8 ounces, so 8, 8-ounce cups gives us a total of 64 ounces per day. You need more water if you are more active, but 64 ounces is a great place to start for most people.


How do I know how much water my container holds?

This is one of the RD tips and tricks I picked up in my professional practice. To find the volume of a cup, you can flip the cup over! It is usually on the bottom of the cup, so you won’t have to guess. You can also measure your favorite cup or water bottle if it isn’t labeled with a measuring cup.

I don’t like the taste of water.

Most waters don’t have a taste to me. But if the taste of water is a struggle for you, consider flavoring your water. I like to add fruit to water. It’s a fun change of flavor and the combinations are almost endless!

Drinking water is boring.

Feel free to try new ways to flavor your water as mentioned above. I believe you eat with your eyes, so use some of that fruit as a garnish (and then a snack!) to make your water visually appealing. Try a new cup or glass. With kids, sometimes a fun straw helps make water less boring.

Hope these tips help!

Do you have any tips to help drink more water? Feel free to share your tips and tricks for staying hydrated below.

No comments:

Post a Comment