Dietitians do a lot! The specific role of a dietitian is tied to what area they practice in. If you want even more information about RDs, check out "where dietitians work" and "what do dietitians do?".
Since I love a list, here are just some of the specialty areas RDs can work in and some of the different places dietitians can work . . . from A to Z!
- A = Administration, Academia
- B = Business owner (private practice), Blogger
- C = Consultation, Corporate Wellness, Clinical RD (aka hospital RD)
- D = Disease prevention and treatment (think malnutrition, overweight, kidney disease, heart disease)
- E = Enteral nutrition expert (Example: Tube feedings)
- F = Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (FAND)
- G = Geriatrics, General Pediatricians Office
- H = Health care
- I = Intensive Care Units (ICU)
- J = Jails and other institutions
- K = Kitchen management (or food service)
- L = Label-reading educator
- M = Media relations (Example: news, radio, television, magazines)
- N = Nutrition consultations (Examples: individual counseling, restaurants, etc)
- O = Outpatient RD, Oncology (cancer) RD
- P = Pediatrics
- Q = Quality Assurance (Example: food service, airlines, food manufacturers)
- R = Recipe development (Example: restaurants, cookbooks)
- S = Supermarket RD (grocery tours, healthy eating on a budget, etc), Sports nutrition (Examples: college or professional sports teams, Olympic athletes. You can earn your CSSD a specialty degree for Certified Specialists in Sports Dietetics).
- T = Teacher (Examples: collegiate, masters, doctorate, or preceptor for dietetic interns)
- U = USDA RD (Examples: agriculture, school breakfast program, school lunch program)
- V = Vegetarian or vegan counseling (Example: protein complementing, adequate micronutrient intake)
- W = Weight management counseling, Wellness or health coach
- X = Examine patient for nutritional issues (ex: tricep skin fold measurements, Subjective Global Assessment, etc.)
- Y = Your personal nutrition coach (ex: weight management, triathlon training, Olympic training, etc.)
- Z = Zoology (Examples: veterinary nutrition, develop and analyze pet foods)
These are only some of the examples of where dietitians can work and watch dietitians can do. Do you work as a RD in another area? Please leave additional job opportunity ideas in the comment section below.
For more recipes, encouragement, and tips for healthy eating, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.