Monday, February 20, 2017

Dutch Baby


I made my first Dutch baby. What's a Dutch baby? Let me back up. A Dutch baby is an impressive but surprisingly easy breakfast. It's like a cross between a crepe and a popover. It's almost like a giant pancake. However you describe it; it's delicious. Here's the recipe.



Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons butter
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of 1/2 lemon
3/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

Toppings
Fruit
Powdered sugar

Equipment
Large mixing bowl
Microplane
Whisk
Measuring cups
Measuring spoons
Cast iron pan
Oven mitts

Preheat oven to 450*F. Add canola oil and butter to your cast iron pan. Allow cast iron pan to preheat in your oven for at least 10 minutes. 

Crack eggs into your mixing bowl. Mix the eggs well until they are a pale yellow. Add milk, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Add your dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. Gently mix ingredients until incorporated. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.

Carefully remove cast iron pan from oven with oven mitts. Quickly pour the batter in the cast iron pan. And, put cast iron pan in the oven. 

Cook the Dutch baby for 15-17 minutes until puffed and golden brown.



I like to top the Dutch baby with whatever fruit I have in my kitchen. Today, I used some sweet strawberries. Then, I topped the Dutch baby with about 1/2 tablespoon of powdered sugar. It's a delicious and impressive breakfast. I hope you love it. Make it, and share it with someone you love!


If you enjoyed this post, you might enjoy:



No comments:

Post a Comment