Monday, August 29, 2016

3 Hummus Recipes

Hummus has become my favorite dip, spread, and appetizer. It's a yummy blend of chick peas and pretty much any flavor you want to add. 

One of my best friends, Mal, introduced me to Mediterranean food in college. It's still one of my favorite things to eat. My husband is half Greek, so anything Greek or Mediterranean is a hit in our house. I find myself making more Greek dishes, and hummus is on a regular rotation at my house.

Here's my hummus recipe.




RDTOD's Hummus - Garlic Red Pepper Hummus
Ingredients
1/2 cup almond butter
2 Tablespoons lemon zest (zest of approximately 1 lemon)
6 Tablespoons lemon juice (the juice of approximately 2 lemons)
2 garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cans chickpeas- rinsed and drained
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

In a food processor, blend almond butter and lemon juice for 2 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add lemon zest and garlic. Mix for 2 minutes. Add red pepper and garbanzo beans. Mix 2 minutes. Add olive oil until combined. Enjoy!


What can you do with the basic hummus recipe? You can eat it or add different flavors. Here are my two current favorite hummus variations.


Basil Pesto Hummus

Ingredients
Half of RDTOD's Hummus recipe
1/4 cup basil pesto

Instructions

Divid the basic hummus recipe in 1/2. Add 1/4 cup basil pesto to the hummus. Mix together. Enjoy!



Lemon Artichoke Hummus

Ingredients
Half of RDTOD's Hummus recipe
3 jarred artichoke hears
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon (2 Tablespoons)

Instructions
Divide the basic hummus recipe in 1/2.
Add hummus, 3 artichoke hearts, zest of 1 lemon, and the juice of 1/2 lemon to a food processor. Pulse until combined. Enjoy!

Hummus is a great spread for sandwiches and wraps. It's a simple, make-ahead appetizer for entertaining. Hummus is a great dip for veggies and crackers. Hummus is a great dip for encouraging kids to eat their vegetables. I recently did a television appearance for healthy eating for back-to-school. Here are some of the simple, snacks you can put together for you kid's lunchbox or after school snack.






For more recipes, encouragement, and tips for healthy eating, follow me on PinterestInstagram, and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment