March is National Nutrition Month (NNM). The theme for this year's NNM is Put Your Best Fork Forward. This month, we are focusing on how you can make healthy eating choices every day. Let's start at the very beginning with first meal of the day, breakfast.
Breakfast is the first opportunity you have to fuel your body. You are breaking the period of fasting, or not eating, while you’re asleep at night.
Eating breakfast is a healthy choice with many benefits. Children that eat breakfast perform better in school. Our brains need fuel, aka food, so it's important to start our day with a healthy, nutrient-dense meal.
- Whole grain cereal, low fat milk or milk alternative, and fruit
- Breakfast sandwich with whole grain English muffin, turkey sausage, and cheese
- Mediterranean omelette with eggs, feta, tomatoes, and spinach
- Whole grain waffle, peanut butter, and fruit
- Breakfast burrito with a whole grain tortilla, eggs, cheese, and vegetables.
- Frittata with eggs, vegetables, and cheese
- Granola, low fat yogurt, and fruit
If you want more breakfast recipes, you can try:
Do you usually eat breakfast? Or, are do you tend to skip breakfast?
What are the barriers that keep you from eating breakfast? What helps you eat breakfast?
Feel free to share your comments below.
I love eating breakfast for dinner. Try these recipes in the morning for a great start to your day. Or, try them for a quick dinner. I bet you can make a great breakfast for dinner in less time than you can order take-out.
If you enjoyed this post, you might enjoy: