Friday, February 6, 2015

Registered Dietitian (RD) Myths

Dear reader,

If you are new here, I am a Registered Dietitian (RD) from the South. If you think that's an oxymoron, click here and read on.


Do you have any prejudices against RDs?


Don't worry; I won't be offended. I think it is interesting to know what people think RDs should be like. Since I'm immersed in the RD world, I like an outside perspective.


The two most common assumptions I've heard are:

1) RDs eat a perfectly healthy diet

2) RDs are constantly judging what you eat - your plate, your portions, your grocery cart

#1 I am not perfect. I don't know anyone who eats a "perfect diet". I think a healthy diet looks a little different for everyone based on their medical history and personal goals. As a Registered Dietitian, I am trained to help you eat healthier, help you interpret Nutrition Facts Labels, provide Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT), write TPN (total parenteral nutrition or I.V. nutrition), help you reach your health goals, and tons more.


#2 *See #1. I am not perfect; I don't expect you to be perfect. I am, however, willing and able to help people make healthy diet and lifestyle choices when they want help. I am not constantly judging people - that would be unproductive, rude, and unhealthy! Southerners to not like to be rude . . . you know, with all the Southern hospitality and "bless your hearts."


I hope you've learned a little more about dietitians. Stay tuned for more recipes, encouragement, and tips for healthy eating. You can follow RDtipoftheday on PinterestInstagram, and Twitter. Or, you can subscribe to this blog, RDtipoftheday.blogspot.com, through BlogLovin, which is a free app that automatically updates every time a I publish a new blog post. If you have any nutrition-related questions, comment below, and I'll work to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment